When Is Tooth Extraction Necessary?
In many cases, you can repair teeth that are broken or damaged by decay with a filling, crown, or other dental treatment.
Sometimes the damage is too severe to repair, so your dentist will recommend extraction. Here are some other reasons tooth extraction might be necessary:
- Decay or infection has reached deep into the tooth
- Trauma or injury
- There isn’t enough room for all the teeth in your mouth
- Baby teeth don’t fall out in time for the permanent teeth to come in
- Orthodontic treatment might require tooth extraction to create room for the teeth as they move into place
- Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are often extracted either before or after they come in